City Planner's Guide to Spring
- Trees long to fly,
- and bitterly resent,
- every spring,
- when song birds return to the city.
- Apartment blocks haven’t the wit to wish:
- Concrete heals slowly,
- Window glass is sullen, and
- Hallways suffer children most.
- Traffic lights do want.
- Trash continues to plan.
- Parking ramps are greedy.
- Weeds despise the city.
- Summer will bake out all hope.
- Cities are happier frozen.
- But every spring brings back disappointment,
- year, after year, after year.